Have you ever had friends or family surprise you or pull a prank on you? How did they set it up?
1. Discuss your thoughts and observations about the video. What stood out to you?
2. How do you think most people view truth in today’s world? What are some reasons they may think that way?
3. a. Read John 1:1-5, 1:9-13, and verse 14. Who is the Word?
b. What do we learn about the Word in these verses?
c. Verse 14 says Jesus came from the Father “full of grace and truth.” Why do you think this is significant?
d. What can happen if you have grace with no truth? What happens if you have truth with no grace?
4. Have different people look up the following verses: Psalm 25:5, 1 Corinthians 13:6, 2 Timothy 2:15, Ephesians 5:8-10, 1 John 1:6. After reading each verse, discuss the ways truth will define our lives.
5. Read John 8:31-32, 1 Timothy 2:3-4 and John 14:6&7. What key things will truth do for us?
CHECK THE MIRRORS
1. Where would you put your current attitude about truth along the following scale of 1 to 10, and why?
1 – I feel judged or think people can have different opinions
5 – not sure what I believe, or believe there’s truth & try to be honest
10 – I believe God’s truth and want to do better at following, or have experienced living a life in truth
2. Is there an area in your own life, or family or marriage where you need to have more truth? What’s one step you could take in that direction this week?
3. Pray for each other, and your different journeys toward the truth of Jesus.
GIVE A LIFT
Consider ways your group could express the truth of Jesus in the next 2-3 weeks by serving in your community or a neighbor. Visit http://www.eastside.com/localserve/ for some ideas.
[Optional Expanded Discussion]
1. Read Ephesians 4:15. Discuss what it means to speak the truth in love. What is love without truth, or truth without love?
2. How does 1 John 3:18 influence the above? What are some ways Christians can get it wrong in today’s culture?
3. How can a lack of truth negatively impact our leadership and ministries?
4. What are some of the needs you have seen in the past week? (Work, coffee shop, neighborhood, etc.) How do you think you or your group could meet those needs while expressing the truth of Jesus’ character and heart for them?