Is there anyone in your life either currently or in the past whose words made a positive impact on you? If so, what did they say to you?
1. Discuss your thoughts and observations about the video. Did you imagine the “one word” as positive – or negative? Why?
2. This week in our series “It’s Complicated,” we’re looking at the power of our words to hurt or heal in our relationships. Let’s look at what God tells us about how our words can impact the people around us. Have several people in the group read the following verses, answering the questions after each verse:
What type of speaking does this verse describe? What are the results? What are some life examples you have had (Positive or Negative) that come to mind when you hear this verse?
3. Romans 12:2 is the key verse for this series. Take a moment and read Romans 12:1-2. What does this have to do with managing our words?
4. Social media and the news are full of people who respond in anger. Is there someone you’ve seen in a volatile or difficult situation that responded calmly? What did you notice about them?
CHECK THE MIRRORS
1. Ephesians 4:15 said we are to speak “truth” with “love.”
a. Are you more prone to share love without truth, or truth without love?
b. What would “speaking the truth in love” look like?
2. To whom do you need to speak words of affirmation this week? Family? Friends? Co-workers? Neighbors?
3. Is there anyone you need to spend more time listening to this week?
GIVE A LIFT
This month we’re encouraging connection groups to serve together locally. One of the easiest ways to positively encourage and give affirmation to others is by serving. Take a moment to visit http://www.eastside.com/localserve/ and consider options you could undertake together as a group.
[Optional Expanded Discussion]
1. As a mature believer in ministry or leadership, what have you learned about how to respond to anger or harsh words?
2. Do you still have a “hot button” that can catch you off-guard?
3. Spend time praying for the people of Eastside - our congregation, volunteers and connection groups – that we would all be a family of truth, with love, encouragement and affirmation.