Viewing entries tagged
Take This Job and Love It
1. Share one thing that’s your least favorite part of your job.
2. Share one thing that’s the best part of your job.
Christians in the Workplace
1. Many people think of “witnessing” at work as being awkward and difficult. What’s different about being a “witness” as the video describes?
2. Is there a difference between who you are and what you do?
3. Have different people in your group look up and read the following verses. Identify all the key words that are ways our lives can be a witness at work.
Colossians 3:23| 1 Peter 4:10 | Titus 2:7 | Colossians 3:17
4. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12. What are some other ways we’re instructed to live that apply to the workplace? Why?
5. According to James 5:16, what is our “secret weapon”? What are some reasons to pray for people we work with?
Check the Mirrors
1. Is there a particular issue at work causing you stress that the group can pray for?
2. Think of one person at work who you can begin to pray for.
3. If anyone in your group is out of work, pray for them.
Which of the following currently gives you the most stress at work or school, and why?
- Social media
- Other – name it
There are two general personality types: those who gain energy by being around other people, and those who gain energy by spending time alone. Which are you? How do you normally de-stress to gain energy?
Stress Management Motivational Video
Is there currently an area in your life, particularly at work or school, where you need to “put the glass down”?
Read Genesis 2:2-3. Why do you think God – all-powerful, all-knowing, eternal – decided to rest after his creative work?
Is there a difference between facing a challenge at work, and feeling stressed?
In Romans 5:3-4, what are some reasons we may face challenges?
Read Romans 15:7, and Colossians 3:13. What are some ways following Jesus can help lower our stress at work?
As a community of believers, how can we help each other when we’re stressed? Read Ephesians 4:29, and Proverbs 3:28.
In Matthew 11:28-30, and Philippians 4:6-7, what is the invitation to manage our stress?
CHECK THE MIRRORS
What steps can you take this week to begin to “put the glass down”?
What stressful situations are facing you this week that our group can pray for?
What is the worst or strangest job you have ever had?
Job / work / calling / purpose - how are these terms the same or different?
7 Ways to Identify Your Calling
After listening to the 7 steps, do you have an idea of your calling – a vision for how something could be better, or dissatisfaction with how something is now? Are you currently living in it, or still trying to identify it?
How do you think things like marriage, singleness, parenting, or retirement play a role in our calling, or even change it?
1 Corinthians 7:17 (Phillips version) says, “…Each person should live his life with the gifts that God has given him and in the condition in which God has called him.” What gifts has God given you for work, or serving others?
Read Galatians 6:4 in the NIV and New Living, and/or Message versions if possible. Why is it important to work with the gifts God gives us?
Why does this seem so much more difficult in today’s world of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram?
A famous quote by St. Augustine says, “Love God and do what you want.” What do you think this means in light of this discussion?
Step 7 in the video said, “Callings have a dual purpose – to bring light into the world, and to grow us.” This is God’s purpose for each of us. What’s a small way you are growing, and bringing light into the world?
If you know you’re not currently living or working in your calling, what’s one step you could take towards it in the next 2 weeks?
How can we pray for you in your work and calling this week?